Last Updated on March 18, 2023 by Kayla
This delicious high-protein ham and split pea soup recipe is sure to warm your body and soul. It is packed with protein from ham, peas, and a secret ingredient – bone broth!
This savory dish includes plenty of vegetables like carrots, celery, and onion. With simple ingredients and a little prep time, this soup will be ready in no time and makes a great meal the whole family will enjoy.
The perfect bariatric soup recipe
The combination of high-protein and high-fiber ingredients makes this ham and split pea combo an excellent bariatric-friendly soup recipe, regardless of what diet stage you’re in. Enjoy as-is, or blend until smooth to suit the puréed and soft diet stages.
To up the protein even more, replace water with an extra 32-ounce container of bone broth. I used chicken bone broth for this recipe, but any bone broth will do.
This recipe freezes great, so stock up your freezer with leftovers of this hearty bariatric soup recipe. For more high-protein, one-pot meals, check out my recipes page!
Hearty Ham & Split Pea Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups celery diced
- 1 1/2 cups carrot diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cups bone broth
- 4 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 lbs ham chopped
- 2 cups dried split peas rinsed
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add diced celery, carrots, and onion. Season with salt & pepper. Cook until tender-crisp, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add bone broth, water, bay leaves, and ham. Bring to a boil.
- Add split peas, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30-40 minutes or according to instructions for pea.
- Remove from heat when peas are tender-crisp. Discard bay leaves and season with salt & pepper, if desired.
Founder of LIFe – Lose It Forever
This post may contain affiliate links. When you make a purchase through any of the links, there is no additional cost to you, and I may earn a small (and very appreciated) commission. Thank you for your support!