Last Updated on November 11, 2023 by Kayla
Say hello to your new family favorite recipe – Cottage Cheese Chicken Enchilada Casserole! One serving clocks in at over 30 grams of protein, and this recipe makes for a fantastic meal prep recipe.
If you’re suspicious about the cottage cheese, I promise, you won’t even know it’s there! This cheesy chicken enchilada bake is loaded with high-quality protein, plus it won’t send your blood sugar soaring.
I enjoyed this chicken cottage cheese enchilada lasagna with avocado, and it produced a beautiful meal score of 10 with my Veri CGM. No energy crashes or need to take a nap after this hearty meal.
This recipe was inspired by Gonna Want Seconds’ Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas. Because my husband is gluten-free, I swapped corn tortillas and gluten-free enchilada sauce and taco seasoning.
And because I was feeling lazy, I layered the chicken, vegetable, and cheese mixtures – like a lasagna – to speed up the prep time and save on my sanity.
You can easily substitute your favorite cheeses or add an extra kick to this recipe with jalapeño or serrano peppers.
If you are cooking for one or two people, you can halve this recipe if you don’t want a week’s worth of yummy leftovers to enjoy!
Chicken Cottage Cheese Enchilada Lasagna
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 lbs chicken breast cooked & shredded
- 2 10-oz cans green enchilada sauce
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 oz monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- fresh cilantro optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat a large sautée pan over medium-high heat; add avocado oil.
- Sauté chopped onion and bell peppers until translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add taco seasoning, water, shredded chicken breast, and 1/2 can enchilada sauce; mix to combine. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine cottage cheese, shredded cheeses, and sour cream; mix to combine. Set aside.
- Coat the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with enchilada sauce. Layer with 4 corn tortillas, breaking them into halves or quarters to cover the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spoon 1/2 of the chicken and vegetable mixture on top of the tortillas, pressing into an even layer. Cover the chicken mixture with 1/2 of the cheese mixture and continue layering as follows: 4 corn tortillas, remaining chicken mixture, enchilada sauce, 4 corn tortillas, enchilada sauce, and remaining cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with extra shredded cheese, if desired, and bake uncovered for 45 minutes until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
- (Optional) Top with cilantro, sour cream, fresh jalapeño, salsa, or avocado.