Last Updated on January 27, 2023 by Kayla
Are you craving chicken nuggets but want something healthier than store-bought? Then try these delicious chicken cheese nuggets! This high-protein, low-carb recipe will be your family’s new favorite weeknight recipe!
Chicken cheese nuggets ingredients
Made with a 50:50 mix of boneless chicken breast and thighs, these cheesy chicken nuggets are tender and packed with flavor. Panfry or air fry this recipe for a simple, healthy dinner!
If you’re worried about consuming too much fat from chicken thighs, don’t be!
The comparison below shows the calorie and macronutrient breakdown for 4 ounces of boneless, skinless chicken breast and thigh. As you can see, chicken thighs only have 3 more grams of fat per serving.
So when it comes to chicken, I say choose whichever you prefer – white or dark meat. Often times for mixed dishes and stirfry, I opt for a 50:50 mix of chicken breast to chicken thigh which seems just right, like in this chicken cheese nuggets recipe.
And, if you can’t find Boursin cheese for this recipe, don’t sweat it. Simply substitute extra parmesan cheese for the same result.
Caution with condiments
Many sides like ketchup and BBQ sauce are packed with added sugars. Traditional ketchup, for example, has 4 grams of sugar per tablespoon, equivalent to one packet of sugar per tablespoon! Plus, I don’t know about you, but who uses one tablespoon of ketchup?
Another popular chicken nugget condiment is BBQ sauce. One iconic brand, Sweet Baby Ray’s, has 17 grams of sugar per serving in their original BBQ sauce. Seventeen grams!
To avoid added sugar, opt for a low-sugar alternative like those listed below.
- Heinz no-sugar-added ketchup
- Melissa’s habanero honey mustard
- G. Hughes sugar-free BBQ sauce
- or make your own low-carb, sugar-free BBQ sauce!
Perhaps, you might find that this low-carb cheesy chicken nugget recipe doesn’t even need a sauce!
Low-Carb Chicken Cheese Nuggets (keto, gluten-free)
- 1/2 lb chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 1/2 lb chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup Boursin cheese
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse then blend until mixture resembles a thick, sticky paste.
- Form mixture into nuggets; set aside.
- In a large saute pan, heat 1-2 Tbsp avocado oil over high heat.
- Add nuggets to pan in a single layer with enough space so they are not touching each other. Cook for 2 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel.
- Preheat air fryer to 425F.
- Arrange chicken cheese nuggets in a single layer and cook for 4 minutes.