Last Updated on March 22, 2023 by Kayla
Whether you’re making weekend breakfast for the family or meal prepping for the work week, this delicious high-protein French toast recipe is a great way to start your day!
Enjoy this healthy spin on a classic breakfast staple – guilt-free!
How to make protein French toast
With a few ingredient swaps, this recipe more than doubles the amount of protein compared to traditional Frech toast. The combination of Sola keto bread, milk, eggs, and collagen powder provides a high-protein meal that will keep you going all morning long.
The key to this savory, high-protein French toast recipe is to mix the batter well to avoid clumping. You can do this by mixing in one scoop of collagen at a time and using a handheld drink mixer.
When it comes time to cook, heat your sauté pan or griddle to medium heat. Dunk the bread as usual, and add 1-2 tsp of the egg mixture to up the protein and prevent the protein French toast from drying out.
Once cooked to your liking, remove from heat and garnish with your favorite toppings!
Protein French toast toppings
How you top your French toast can drastically impact your blood sugar levels for the remainder of the day, so choose wisely. For the best blood sugar balance, avoid sugary garnishes like syrup, glazes, and icing.
To add even more of a protein punch, you can top this high-protein French toast recipe with nut butter, Greek yogurt, or hemp hearts. Or, choose high-fiber, blood sugar-friendly toppings like some of those listed here:
- almond butter (my favorite is Justin’s maple almond butter!)
- hemp hearts
- peanut butter
- sprouted pumpkin seeds
- sugar-free maple syrup
- whipped cream
- zero-calorie powdered sugar
Have fun with this high-protein French toast recipe! It’s a fantastic alternative to enjoy breakfast with the family while staying on track with your nutrition goals.
For more family-friendly, high-protein recipes, check out my recipes page!
High-Protein French Toast Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 scoops unflavored collagen
- 6 slices Sola sweet & buttery keto bread
- cinnamon optional
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Adding one scoop at a time, whisk in collagen powder. For best results, mix with a handheld milk frother.
- Coat heated saute pan with a dab of butter, ghee, or coconut oil. Dip bread into egg mixture and add to pan. Top bread with 1-2 tsp of egg mixture and sprinkle with cinnamon (optional).
- Flip bread when fully cooked on one side, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and top with your favorite French toast toppings.
Helping women after bariatric surgery lose weight without eating “perfect.” Learn how to balance blood sugar & optimize your “tool” today! Apply to learn more!
This post may contain affiliate links. When you make a purchase through any of the links, there is no additional cost to you, and I may earn a small (and very appreciated) commission. Thank you for your support!