Last Updated on February 22, 2023 by Kayla
Tater tot hotdish is a classic comfort food that’s sure to please. This healthy tater tot hotdish recipe is packed with double the protein and vegetables for a nutritious twist on an iconic Midwestern staple.
What is a “hotdish”?
A “hotdish” is essentially a baked casserole popular in upper Midwestern states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and the Dakotas.
Hotdish refers to the meal itself (not the dish or vessel it’s cooked in) and usually includes ground meat, a starch such as noodles or potatoes, canned or frozen vegetables, and canned cream soup.
Tater tot hotdish, for example, consists of ground beef, tater tots, green beans or corn, and canned cream of mushroom soup. For DIYers, you can substitute canned soup for homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup.
Other popular hotdishes include tuna noodle hotdish and “funeral hotdish” made with red sauce, ground beef, and elbow noodles – my Nana’s staple dish.
Healthy tater tot hotdish ingredients
What makes this tater tot hotdish recipe healthy? To begin, I doubled the protein by using two pounds of ground beef and plain Greek yogurt for extra creaminess. Next, I added extra vegetables, including more variety.
The vegetables used in tater tot hotdish depend on family traditions. For example, in some versions you might find only corn or green beans, while other variations use mixed vegetables. Chopped onion and a double helping of frozen mixed vegetables help fill out this healthy tater tot hotdish recipe with extra volume and fiber – what I like the call “slow carbs.”
For more on slow carbs, macronutrients, and how to maximize your macros for weight loss, download my dietitian-approved grocery list which includes a free mini-email series!
Lastly, to help reduce the carbs and processed ingredients in this healthy tater tot hotdish recipe, I added Greek yogurt and cut the tots in half for extra mileage on these little golden nuggets. You can’t make tater tot hotdish without the tots, but you can use less!
All in all, this healthy tater tot hotdish recipe keeps its classic flavor while adding extra protein and vegetables for a nutritional boost. Serve it up with a salad or steamed vegetables for an even healthier meal.
For more healthy, high-protein comfort foods, check out my beef stroganoff with Greek yogurt and 30-minute chili recipe!
Founder of LIFe – Lose It Forever
This post may contain affiliate links. When you make a purchase through any of the links, there is no additional cost to you, and I may earn a small (and very appreciated) commission. Thank you for your support!
Healthy Tater Tot Hotdish
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 5.3 oz container plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb frozen tater tots sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- salt & pepper
- Heat a large sauté pan to medium-high. Brown ground beef.
- Add diced onion to ground beef, season with salt & pepper, and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Add frozen mixed vegetables, cream of mushroom soup, Greek yogurt, soy sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper; stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a prepared 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Heat tater tots in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. Cut in half lengthwise and arrange in a single layer over the casserole mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 40-45 minutes.