Last Updated on February 22, 2023 by Kayla
This is one of my favorite winter soup recipes! It’s hearty, slow-carb-friendly, and packed with protein and fiber. You’ll have plenty to meal prep for the week or freeze for a later time.
Did I mention it’s a one-pot meal, so there is minimal clean-up?!
Hearty Ham & Bean Soup with Kale
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 6 celery stalks diced
- 1 32 oz carton chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 1/2 cups dried beans soaked overnight
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-2 Tbsp seasoning of choice
- 3-4 cups water
- 2 lbs ham diced
- 1 bunch kale torn into 1-inch pieces
- salt & pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese optional
- Soak beans overnight; rinse and set aside.
- In a large stockpot, heat avocado oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery. Saute until translucent, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add stock, beans, bay leaves, and seasoning; stir to combine.
- Add 3-4 cups water, enough to cover beans by 1 inch. Cover stockpot with a lid and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Once beans are tender-firm, turn off burner, add diced ham and kale; stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese (optional), and serve immediately.
Helping women after bariatric surgery lose weight without eating “perfect.” Learn how to balance blood sugar & optimize your “tool” today! Apply to learn more!
This post may contain affiliate links. When you make a purchase through any of the links, there is no additional cost to you, and I may earn a small (and very appreciated) commission. Thank you for your support!